“Diatomaceous earth comes from fossilized shells of freshwater diatoms and is found in vast deposits all over the earth. Made up of silicone and trace minerals, diatomaceous earth can, according to the scientific literature, absorb methyl mercury, E. coli, endotoxins, viruses (including poliovirus), organophosphate pesticide residues, drug residue, and protein, perhaps even the proteinaceous toxins produced by some intestinal infections.”
Mad as a Hatter by Dr Kaayla Daniel
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a non-toxic, natural mineral that can be used safely in the home, garden or homestead. DE is safe for internal use with pets, livestock or people. DE is effective against numerous pests and parasites including intestinal worms, fleas, lice, mites, termites, ants, spiders, bed bugs, etc.
There are many uses for DE. I have personally used DE for:
- killing fleas and biting spiders inside the household by sprinkling DE followed by vacuuming 24 hours later
- de-worming our warehouse cat and hens by putting DE in their fed
- controlling mites by sprinkling DE in the hen’s dust bath
- controlling serious infestations in the garden by sprinkling DE around the infestation
After experimenting with DE for about two years, I can say the product is safe and effective at pest and parasite control. It is also a very inexpensive product with multiple uses. I would recommend every household having a supply of DE on hand for use instead of pesticides or de-worming agents.
“Until we can clean up the planet and our act, we fortunately do have a dirt cheap, stop-gap way of coping with metal toxicity. That solution is diatomaceous earth.”
DE has a long history of being used internally for removal of heavy metals. I have taking DE internally but don’t have any long term experience doing so. Just add a small amount of DE to water and drink. If you are interested in the internal use of DE please read Mad as a Hatter: How to Avoid Toxic Metals and Clear Them from the Body.
“The only caveat is that diatomaceous earth used for human or animal detoxification must be food grade. People and other mammals should never use the coarse, crystalline form of diatomaceous earth sold for use in swimming pool filters or as insecticides, or sources of diatomaceous earth contaminated with toxins like arsenic and the metal toxins.”
“To detoxify with diatomaceous earth, dissolve less than one teaspoon to one tablespoon for every 100 pounds of body weight in a glass of pure water and drink before bed over a period of months or years. Taken this way, its metal-binding capacity is unlikely to hinder the absorption of needed minerals such as calcium, magnesium and zinc, which we take in from our food at mealtimes or from supplements during the day.”
For more recipes please see Healthy Household: Staying Clean Safely and Saving Money.